What is Oxycontin?
Oxycontin helps relieve severe ongoing pain. It is related to a class of drugs known as opioid analgesics. This medicine binds to receptors in your brain and spinal cord, which helps in blocking pain signals and stopping the pain.
Oxycontin is available in many pharmacy stores. You can easily buy oxycontin online from a trusted online pharmacy. If you want to order oxycontin online, make sure that the medicine is 100% genuine.
Types of oxycontin
Oxycontin tablets are available in many strengths. These are as follows:
- Oxycontin OC 10 mg: These tablets are white, round, and convex marked OC on one side and 10 on the other.
- Oxycontin OC 15 mg: These are grey, round, and convex tablets marked OC on one side and 15 on the other.
- Oxycontin OC 20 mg: These are pink, round, and convex tablets marked OC on one side and 20 on the other.
- Oxycontin OC 30 mg: These are brown, round, and convex tablets marked OC on one side and 30 on the other.
- Oxycontin OC 40 mg: These are yellow, round, and convex tablets marked OC on one side and 40 on the other.
- Oxycontin OC 60 mg: These are red, round, and convex tablets marked OC on one side and 60 on the other.
- Oxycontin OC 80 mg: These are green, round, and convex tablets marked OC on one side and 80 on the other.
What are the uses of oxycontin?
Oxycontin helps in the treatment of severe pain. This drug helps in relieving several types of pain, which includes:
- cancer-related pain
- chronic pain
- paroxysmal pain
- steady pain
How to take oxycontin?
Take oxycontin by mouth on a regular schedule as prescribed by your doctor. The immediate-release tablets of this drug are also available as the brand-name drugs Oxaydo, Roxicodone, and Roxybond.
The dosage of oxycontin depends on age, medical condition, the severity of your condition, other medical conditions that you have, and your reaction to treatment.
Avoid taking this drug in larger amounts or for longer than the prescribed period. The starting dosage of this drug can range from 5 mg to 15mg.
You can take these tablets with or without food, usually every 12 hours. Take this medicine with food if you have nausea.
Avoid breaking, crushing, chewing, or dissolving the tablet because doing so can release all of the drug at once. It may lead to an overdose. To avoid this, swallow the whole tablet.
Do not wet the tablet before placing it in your mouth. Make sure to drink enough water after taking each tablet to swallow it completely.
An overdose of oxycontin can be fatal, especially among the people who are using this medicine without a prescription. The symptoms of overdose may include drowsiness, slow breathing, vomiting, small pupils, and extreme tiredness.
Stopping this medication suddenly may cause withdrawal. The risk of withdrawal from this medicine is higher in people who have used it for longer or in high doses.
The withdrawal symptoms include restlessness, watering eyes, nausea, runny nose, sweating, diarrhea, muscle aches, sudden behavior changes, or mental/mood changes such as anxiety, trouble sleeping, thoughts of suicide.
What to know before taking oxycontin?
Never use this medicine if you are allergic to oxycodone or other opioid pain medicines such as oxymorphone.
Do not take oxycontin if you have breathing problems or a blockage in your stomach or intestines. Tell your doctor if you ever had the following medical conditions:
- liver disease
- kidney disease
- urinating problems
- bowel or stomach conditions
- a history of alcohol or drug addiction
- mental/mood disorders such as depression or confusion
- brain disorders such as seizures, tumor, head injury
- breathing problems such as COPD, sleep apnea, asthma
- problems with gallbladder, pancreas, and thyroid
Avoid drinking alcohol with oxycontin because it may increase the risk of severe side effects from this drug. The side effects may include dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, and difficulty concentrating.
Avoid the consumption of marijuana while taking this drug because it can make you more dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving an automobile, using machinery, or doing anything that needs alertness until you can do it safely.
Do not consume grapefruit and grapefruit juice while using this drug. Drinking grapefruit juice can increase the side effects of this drug.
Before having surgery, tell your doctor that you are using this medicine. You must also tell your doctor about all the prescription and non-prescription drugs that you use.
Old age people may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, and slow or shallow breathing.
Do not use oxycontin during pregnancy. It can make your baby dependent on the drug and cause withdrawal symptoms after it is born.
Before using this drug, make sure to tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding. This drug can pass through breastmilk and may have harmful effects on a baby. The side effects may include unusual sleepiness, difficulty feeding, or trouble breathing.
What are the side effects of oxycontin?
The common side effects of oxycontin are as follows:
- changes in mood or behavior
- dry mouth
Serious side effects
- unusual thoughts or behavior
- shallow breathing
- sleep apnea
- loss of appetite
- difficulty urinating
- severe stomach or abdominal pain
What to avoid while using oxycontin?
Avoid drugs like buprenorphine while using oxycontin because it can decrease the effectiveness of the medicine. Some anesthesia drugs such as butorphanol, nalbuphine, and pentazocine can also reduce the effects of oxycodone.
Before taking this drug, tell your doctor in advance if you are taking other medicines such as:
- other opioid pain or cough relievers
- alcohol or marijuana
- sleep, or anxiety drugs such as alprazolam, lorazepam, or zolpidem
- muscle relaxants such as cyclobenzaprine, or carisoprodol
- antihistamines such as cetirizine, diphenhydramine.
Some medicines can affect the removal of oxycodone from your body, affecting how oxycodone works. These medicines include:
- azole antifungals such as ketoconazole
- macrolide antibiotics including erythromycin, and mifepristone
- HIV medicines like ritonavir
- rifamycins such as rifabutin, rifampin
- drugs that help treat seizures, such as carbamazepine, phenytoin